Welcome to the online home of The Family Systems Institute. To navigate our website hover your mouse over each menu title above and select what you would like to learn more about from the drop down box provided.
You can use the buttons below to jump straight to training or clinical. If you have any questions of comments about our website please call or email us here.
This section of the website is for those interested in our counselling services Take Me Here
This section of the website is for those interested our training opportunities Take Me Here
Some Core Principles of Family Systems Approach:
- Symptoms are viewed as connected to the big picture of a person’s life and relationships.
- Clients are helped to develop self-awareness of how they are reacting to others and how their reactions are being responded to.
- The past is explored to assist this awareness of circular patterns and the effect they have on people’s coping capacities. Events from the past are not viewed as the cause of symptoms but as anxiety generators that have been responded to in the relationship system. Hence each family member is affected differently by challenging events.
- The therapist works hard not to take sides with any member of the clients’ relationship system.
- Clients are encouraged to keep their change efforts outside of the therapy room – in the natural systems of real life and relationships. Hence sessions are often spaced out to allow for observing the things learned in counselling.
Want to learn more? Click here for an overview.